While adults may or may not see widespread effects from choosing organic food and drink, it is becoming nearly essential for younger people, especially babies. It is during these formative years that the presence of chemicals is food and drink can be the most damaging.
Babies and anyone under the age of 16 have bodies that are still forming. Almost every cell that these young people have is being replaced by a new cell within a thirty day period. It is during this time that the most damage and/or benefit can be done by what a person eats and drinks.
Your Body Is Your Castle – Treat It Well
Even into their twenties every person is creating a body that is going to be with them for the rest of their lives. Each and every day builds a more and more permanent set of chemicals and tissues that may never be replaced by the human body. Some cells, such as muscle and bone cells will never grow anew or be replaced by a new cell of the type after birth. Other cells replicate and are replaced on a more frequent basis.
One should think of the body as a house that is built during the years of youth and decorated as the years go by. The foundation that the house is built upon will always be the same and will never be replaced. Something’s in the house, such as carpet and wall paint may be replaced every few years. There are also household items that are replaced every few months or a few times a year.
The human body is exactly the same and the chemicals that go into the developing child will stay there for varying amounts of time. Some negative chemicals can stay with a person for the rest of their lives, while others are flushed out quickly. It is hard to say what is going to stay in the human body and what is going to go. The best rule of thumb is to only give child foods that have nothing negative in them.
Whether a chemical is retained by the body or not is sometimes not the biggest issue. It has been found that many chemical will alter the functioning of the developing body, causing it to develop more slowly. There are even chemicals that can completely stunt the growth of a child if consumed in too great a quantity. The list of dangerous additives is almost endless but the most important ones to look out for are:
• Sodium Nitrate – used in insane quantities in processed meats. Suspected to cause cancer.
• BHA/BHT – preservative used in cereals, margarine and vegetable oils
• Propyl Gallate – used to keep oils from spoiling.
• Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – used as a flavor enhancer. Often causes strong headaches and nausea
• Trans Fats – another dangerous preservative. So bad for you that manufacturers are forced to list the amounts used
• Aspartame (Nutrasweet/Equal) – One of the worst sugar replacements. You think smoking was bad…
• Acesulfame-K – a new sugar replacements with no track record. Guinea pigs anybody?
• Food Coloring – Used to make bland processed food look appetizing. Causes thyroid tumors and bladder cancer.
• Olestra – fat replacement. Prevents even healthy and essential fats from being absorbed by your body. Causes severe stomach pains.
• Potassium Bromate – preservative used in super market breads to keep them fresh for weeks. Outlawed in most countries but still legal in the United States. Use is linked to many types of cancer.
There is not a parent in the world that would open the medicine cabinet and randomly give a child medicine without knowing what was in it and what it would do. Some of the chemicals in inorganic foods can have stronger and longer effects than those in over the counter medication. The main difference is that while medicine automatically makes a parent attentive to its use, food does not.
Know What You Eat
Food is one of the most important aspects of what builds and shapes the human body. Making sure that those foods are clean and clear of negative things is an easy way to make sure that a small person will be getting everything they need. There are even chemicals that are added to some fruits and vegetable to prevent them from spoiling as quickly that can block the beneficial aspects of the food itself. The end result is that eating those fruits and vegetables is no better than eating pure starch with nothing added to it.
There is no reason for a person to not give organic foods to their young people. They are healthy and clean and free of anything negative. Other than increased shelf life and sometimes brighter colors, there is rarely ever a benefit to a regular food over organics. Be sure to treat your children right and give them only the food that you have chosen and not a host of hidden chemicals and other things that you are not even aware of. It is not just important, it can be essential. Even if it is just for the first five years, this can be a legacy of health that will stay with your child for the rest of their life. It can be something will change them forever.
Kelly Anderson is a blogger on Organic products for baby. Try choosing organic crib sheets to enhance baby’s sleep.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Clicking costs you nothing, but helps to support Mommy and We. Thank you!